Thursday, May 12, 2016

How to clean a wood deck, the basics

"How to Clean a Wood Deck"

Here we are with a customer I have worked for for over twenty years. We are cleaning a wood deck that has stain on it. I have always used Cedar stain on this deck in the past. I have always used the Olympic Cedar stain which is also called Natural-tone. 
This deck is dirty with mold and mildew, but the real problem is in removing the stain that is underneath the mold and mildew. It can only be done by cleaning the deck with a stain-stripper.
This is a nasty and dirty deck. Mold and mildew work on the surface to destroy the integrity of the wood.
As I begin to pressure-wash the surface, I uncover the clean wood underneath. I can not achieve this without using a stain-stripping solution. 


 
But, with hard work, you can see how nice the final result becomes. At this point I can use a clear product or I can use a stain.
Nice and Clean!

A deck this size took nearly a day to clean properly.  Also, It took nearly a day for two men to seal.
Cleaning and Sealing a Wood Deck takes time to do it right, but when done the results are beautiful.  

If you don't do it yourself and you live in Richmond, VA or the surrounding areas, please give us a call for prompt and courteous service. 804-585-8016

No comments:

Post a Comment